Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

• NotoriousOnline Navigation

• Havoc Says The Original Version Of Notorious BIG’s “Last Day” was lost!

Legendary rapper and producer,Havoc of Mobb Deep recently sat down and explained that the original version of "Last Day" off Notorious BIG's classic "Life After Death" album was misplaced during the recording sessions. Here is a snippet of the interview below by HHDX:

HipHopDX: You’ve produced for Notorious B.I.G., Eminem, and obviously the Mobb Deep work speaks for itself. What will your ultimate legacy be as a producer?

Havoc: I would say that I stayed true to my sound. I was a producer with consistency, and I was someone that held New York down…held the East Coast down as far as production.

DX: Going back to your statement about holding New York down, what do you remember most about working with B.I.G. and The Lox on “Last Day?

Havoc: [Diddy] commissioned me to do a track for him. Back in those days, we recorded on reel to reel [tapes], and somehow the original track got lost. I don’t know how—I guess somebody maybe was hatin’ or some shit. But I had to do another track that sounded similar to the one that you hear now. I remember being in the studio doing the track, and [The Notorious] B.I.G. was in the other room recording. I remember Puff coming in there, and just making sure everything was smooth. It was pretty normal, and Puff was cool. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. I did what I had to do, and I was out.

DX: So, technically fans have never heard the original version of “Last Day” that you did with Biggie?

Havoc: Yeah, the final is different, and Puff was pissed. He was literally pissed like, “Yo, I want the fuckin’ beat I paid for!” He was not playing. And I was like, “Yo, shit got misplaced…” And that’s enough to make you not even be fuckin’ part of the project. That’s enough to make someone say, “You know what? Fuck it. Give me my money back.” But he had faith in me. I did the beat over, and that didn’t happen.

Source: HipHopDX.com