Close

• LILí KIM BRINGS OUT JUNIOR MAFIA FOR LEGACY PERFORMANCE

The original Queen Bee and this yearís recipient of the I Am Hip Hop Award, Lilí Kim brought the house down with a legacy performance that featured the late great Notorious B.I.G.-formed Junior M.A.F.I.A., with a guest appearance from O.T. Genasis for the wildly inventive ďFound You,Ē off Kimís upcoming 9 album.

This yearís BET Hip Hop Awards made a grand return to the hip-hop mecca of South in Atlanta, Georgia. The Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre, brimming with rapís most formidable and promising contenders, set the stage for one of musicís biggest nights in popular culture, Saturday (Oct. 5).

Hosted by stand-up comedian Lilí Duval, the 2019 BET Hip Hop Awards introduced a number of new components to the showís 14-year history, further expanding its breadth of Black excellence.

From new cyphers to Lilí Kimís legacy honor, below are five surprise performances and new categories that made for a historic night in hip-hop music and culture. Make sure to catch the official airing this coming Tuesday (Oct. 8) at 8 p.m. ET.